In order to make sure all of our hardware was installed evenly and in the same place, I used a hardware installation template. I went around on each cabinet and using the template, marked where the knob would go.
My husband had to do a little math in order to measure where the pulls for the drawers would go.
Despite a few imperfections here and there (mostly likely I am the only one who notices) I LOVE how they turned out.
As you can see in this picture, I chose to open up two small cabinets above the fridge to give the kitchen a bit more character.
After a stressful summer of renovations, we decided to wait on our kitchen.
As I am writing this post, I am listening to the wood floors being installed in the kitchen, dining room, and entry way.
I had to go along and manually sand the grooves that the palm-sander couldn’t reach too. Since it was mid-winter, we had to do the sanding in the garage rather than outside.
I made the mistake of leaving my car in the garage during the sanding too. After sanding and sanding some more in order to remove the gloss and give the primer and paint something to grip onto, we wiped the cabinets down really well and put on the first coat of primer.
The primer we used was recommended by the paint store and was called Fresh Start.
It was an oil based primer because that is more durable and since these cabinets will be getting knocked around quite a bit in the kitchen, we needed quality.